Swimming
By: Lindsey Buchanan
The lake looked cold and lonely with deep blue waves. The clouds are covering the sun and are reflecting on to the lake. The waves are hitting the dock with a big splash, splash back and forth. The wind blows shivers up my spine as I begin to swim. The Jensen’s lake is one of the best thrills of the summer because it’s so close to our house. And that’s why I’m here right now. I kept on swimming and swimming as the cool water rushed on my skin.
“Claire come on let’s go,” I said in a tuned voice.
“Okay let’s go to the water trampoline” my best friend called.
We reached for the ladder to the water trampoline and walked on the bouncy material as I stood at the end of the water trampoline getting ready to jump in.
My body collapsed into the water with a big splash and then I started swimming. There I stood in the water doubtless as I treaded water. I stopped. In the water, there was a bright yellow with a dark denim blue stripe across the bottom. I thought to myself, should I go around it or under it. Na I’m too tired to go around the launcher, so I headed under. My arms led the way under as I kicked through the waves of the lake. But when I was half way through my body felt tense and stiff, I was starting to feel like I was trapped in a cage in jail. I couldn’t help thinking that I was going to die. A tired choking feeling entered my throat almost as if I were going to choke on my own breath. Still trying to get through I couldn’t hold my breath anymore and it was too late, because I had already swallowed a big gulp of water on my way out. But the pain didn’t stop. Instantly a big wave of badness entered my body I felt terrible like I was dyeing I couldn’t breathe and I couldn’t talk very good.
“Claire I can’t breathe,” my voice was wiggling like a loose tooth going back and forth.
“Are you okay?” she replied worried.
That was it I couldn’t talk anymore I had to get to shore. I lifted my feet from the water and started kicking, the fear kept on rushing through me. Still forcing my body through the water as it got shallower. I was still worried but I knew I could make it. Claire followed me. I was on the dock sitting there beginning to get my voice back it felt like I just swallowed a fish!
.
But all I could think about was what I did I went under instead of going around. But the lesson I learned was make sure you know what you’re doing and prepare for what you’re doing. This experience reflected on my life so I can learn to be a safe swimmer in my upcoming thrills in the next summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment